All right, I confess, I am a cat person!

I felt like cheating tonight by tracing a photograph on the Wacom. It’s not as easy or precise as I thought it would be, but eh… not bad for a half hour’s work I say!

I miss Sidney. He’s still alive and well (I assume) living with a friend who can provide a much better home than I was able to. She calls him “Sid” rather than the fully-expanded “Sidney,” as if he weren’t a big pansey. (No offense to all you Sidneys out there!)

I had to give Sidney up (along with his neurotic buddy Waldo) when my life went haywire last year, and I think they’re both better off because of it.

I brought Sidney home shortly after my first cat, Illyana, died in late 1997. Check out the online memorial I made for her at the time if you’re so inclined. It’s very sappy, but it did help me out to write it at the time, and I hear other people who stumble across it have found some comfort there.

Some day I want to have cats again, but it will have to wait until I have my life a little more together… like in ten years or so.

6 Responses to “IMAGE OF THE DAY: SIDNEY”

1. Kat D Says:
    September 26th, 2002 at 9:19 am

I miss Sidney. :(

But I still have the shredded water-heater blanket to remember him by.

2. Daniel Dolinov Says:
    September 26th, 2002 at 12:27 pm

Being more of a dog person myself, I like cats a great deal. Some of my best friends are multiple cat owners. There is a rather wholesome influence a cat has on a person, especially when life goes a bit heywire. Maybe if you get the cats back the putting things together again will become much quicker.

3. Joshua A. Hart Says:
    September 26th, 2002 at 2:14 pm

Daniel: If only! For now I’m choosing the warm glow that comes with having roommates who will share my bills over the comfort of a snobby cat. The house I live in now would be perfect for a cat, but at least one of my roommates would drop dead from allergies if I dared to bring one home. I think I’ll just have to do without for a while.

-jah!

4. sillydog Says:
    September 26th, 2002 at 2:16 pm

Dude, cats are so easy to care for, compared to dogs. Your life must have really blown up — I’m so sorry. If I may say so, you don’t seem like the sort that deserves it.

My best friends are both cat people. They and their spouses spend coutless hours coming up with complex cat theories. The philosopher of the bunch has one where cats are responsible for human civilization itself! It’s written on a collection of napkins that his wife has locked up so he won’t go insane.

The original sillydog died 2 years ago last June. That’s the problem with loving a dog or a cat — it can only end in tears. But we keep doing it. Must be worth it, eh?

How ’bout a feline superhero Vs. The battle-chickens?

5. Kat D Says:
    September 26th, 2002 at 4:26 pm

Hey! SillyDog has a great idea.

How about a cat ON a battle-chicken? I think we have a new Saturday morning cartoon.

6. Daniel Dolinov Says:
    September 26th, 2002 at 5:22 pm

And if the cartoon is a great success we can have a cooking show as well: “The Cat’s battle chicken recipes.”

And by the way, you are clearly managing to put your life together again — your art is very good, as well as warm enjoyable and uplifting without being saccharine. Things cannot be all that bad.